Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I'm going to ramble

I have my dress fitting tomorrow night. They make you wait until the last minute and then they tell you that you'll get your dress back a few days before the wedding. Um, thanks, but I want that dress in my possession at least a week before. I'm a little nervous because I had to lose about 1.5" for the dress to fit right. To most people that would be no big deal. But to me, it sucks because I'm horrible at losing weight. I did ok, so we'll see..

I love my dress so much. It was designed by Oleg Cassini who was the personal dressmaker for Jackie O. He was the first one to put her in a pillbox hat and it then became her signature item. I can't say too much about my dress because I want it to be a surprise, and plus I think Matt reads this blog every now and then. But the dress is gorgeous. It was made in Europe and it so different than anything I ever thought I'd wear. I bought it last year, and have never seen it again..not on the racks, not in the bridal magazines...it's like this dress was made for me.

My veil is being hand made by a very good family friend in London called Andi. Back in the day, she was one of the most sought after dressmakers. She made clothes for all the people that mattered and was at the top of her field. She made many suits for my Grandma, and made my Mom's wedding dress, and my Aunts. Lot's of people would pay through the roof to have her make something for them, but since she's retired, she doesn't design and sew anymore.

She said she wished she could have flown over here to make my wedding dress, but she's much older now, and not in the best of health. About 6 months ago, she called my Mom to tell her that although she can't be at the wedding, she is going to come out of retirement so that she can make my veil. It would be her gift to me. I couldn't believe it. What an honor! She's making it as we speak, and it will be flown in from London when it's done. It's an emotional thing for me because when I think of her, I instantly think of Grandma. They were very close and I spent many Friday nights as a little kid watching her get measured and discuss what kind of suit or dress she wanted. And for her to do this for me is so special. It's something that I will pass on to my children and tell them about what a wonderful lady Andi was.

The company that screwed up on the favor bags are reprinting them and they should be here next week. At least they didn't give me hard time about it. They were quick to apologize and fix the problem. I like that in a company.

I still need to make the programs, print them out and put them together. I think it will be helpful for people to kind of understand what's going on during the ceremony. I think it's a really beautiful ceremony, 100% traditional Greek (although it will be done in English.)

I have a meeting with the photographer tonight. He said he was going to have our engagement photo's that he took 2 weeks ago. I'm nervous. I was so sick that day that I know I'm not looking my best. Hopefully you can't tell too much. I'm glad we took them at the Balboa fun zone. I like the idea of having different backdrops and doing something a little goofy instead of all the photos being gooey and romantic. I'll let you know how they turned out.

Someone rear ended my car a few months ago and didn't leave a note. It wasn't a small scratch either. It was a sizeable dent on the corner of my back bumper. I haven't had it fixed yet because I had a feeling it was going to be expensive. I had a guy come out to my office to give me a quote. He said $275. Ouch. My Dad has a few blemishes on his car so I went with him to Ding King. Since they're doing my Dad's car, they said they'd give me a discount. $250. Wow. What a discount. It seems a lot to fix a bumper, but it has to be done.

My car is a 1999 Nissan Altima and it's pretty busted right now. The speakers are blown, the stereo only has radio because the cd player decided to die on me after 7 months of having it installed. The dent is just making it look sad, sad, sad. My brother Dimitri just picked up new cars for him and his wifey (he got a 06 Charger, she got a 06 Pilot) My sister got an 06 BMW not too long ago. I would love a new car. I've never had a brand new car. It has that new car smell that just can't be duplicated. The dealership always tries to fake it when I have bought used cars in the past. But I know it's the used new car smell. Totally different.

So, since I wont be buying a new car anytime soon, I'll just have to pimp my own ride. I'll get the dent fixed, tint the windows, buy some new speakers, get a new stereo, maybe get it detailed. Give the ole silver buller a little make over. She needs a pick me up. It will be a gradual process, but baby steps is better than none at all.

Still not able to download photos to the blog. Grrrr.

4 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock and everything will be perfect! You are going to look beautiful and the day will be fantastic! I am so happy for you guys! Happy one month away today! Woohoo!

Love,

Lanie

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Gina said...

Thanks Lanie! I feel ready to rock that isle and become a wife. I'm so glad you'll be there!

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so inspired about your day. Yes, you do not have an 06 car with the new car smell, but you will have the wedding of the century and the best part is, you designed it with love, and those that added to your wedding, did it with love. I am so excited!!
And I am inspired about you pimping your ride too!! Great idea. It will cost a few bucks, but it will be worth it. It always makes a difference to add a little TLC to your ride. So what will be the pimp your ride touch? Will it have lace to represent wedding? Will it have green throw pillows in the back? How about special monogrammed floormats? GKM
I love you! Happy 1 Month!! What?!
Love, Fi

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Gina said...

oooh...all good ideas Fi. You should go work with MTV. I'm thinking a shoe rack in the trunk? LOL. I love you! FR! PS! AC!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home