Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What not to wear

I love to shop.

I'm not one of those people that tries to deny it or spin it into something that it's not.

No, I love to shop, and that's the truth.

I especially like to shop for clothes. The only bummer thing I run into with that is finding young and fashionable clothes in my size. Obviously I'm not a size 2. Or a size 10. Or even a 12. The exact number isn't important.

What is important is to explain to those out there who don't realize it, that finding hip and fashionable clothes in my size is quite a challange. There are a very (very) select group of stores that I shop at, I can count them on one hand. Think about all the hundreds and thousands of stores out there that "normal" sized people can shop at. Loads and loads of them. I have about 4. Not a whole lot to choose from.

Now don't get me wrong. This isn't a pity party of any kind. I have no problem with the way I look. Ok, maybe there are things I would tamper with a bit, but who doesn't. I can honestly say that I don't hate myself or the way I look or anything over dramatic like that. I have self confidence and am a happy person. I've never had a problem attracting the opposite sex and I don't obsess about my weight. I know I could diet and excersice and lose some poundage and be able to shop at mall. But that's not the point I'm trying to make.

My point is this. Just because I'm not a size 2, does that mean I'm banished to wearing trapeze style tops and pants with eleactic waisbands? Who says that just because I'm plus size that I want to wear baggy dresses with large print flowers on them. Why is it so unbelievable that maybe I want to wear those gorgeous Lexy jeans in the window of Arden B or that totally hot dress at Nordstrom. I'm plus size, not void of all fashion sense.

It's because of this daily dilema that I have dreamt about starting my own clothing line. It's been a dream of mine for many years, and maybe one day it will happen.

But I digress. My Friend Tina commented on a top I was wearing the other day and asked if it was new. I told her "no, I just haven't worn it yet." She claimed that I probably have a ton of things that I haven't worn more than a few times. She's out of her mind, right? (Or is she?) I found myself wondering if it could be true. And then came the challange.

Tina double dog dared me to try and wear a different outfit to work everyday until the end of the month, no repeats. I asked her to clarify this challange. The basis is this. I must wear something different complete every day, but I can repeat certain items. For example, if I wear blue jeans with a Old Navy shirt and pointed low heels, that's one outfit. If I wear those same jeans with a t shirt and sweater from Target and different shoes, that's another outfit. So I can repeat a basic staple such as jeans, but not something like a patterned shirt or bold colored sweater.

I thought this was an intresting project so I accepted her challange. Do I have enough clothes to wear something different every work day for 2 weeks? I guess we're going to find out.

We work together so she's going to do the outfit check in the mornings to make sure I'm still within the rules. And for you folks out there, I will post a photo of that days outfit. (I'll admit this is to help myself remember what I wore the day or week prior)

Below are the outfits for Monday, Tuesday and today.
So far, so good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home